Scan to Abc

Frequently asked questions about writing/printing music in MusiCAD
KenF

Scan to Abc

Post by KenF » 21 Sep 2010 08:35

I am looking for Music Notation software. My needs are minimal, I want to be able to simply re-format sheet music to build my own (single line) music Library. (I play the keyboard - one finger!)

I am attracted to ABC because it offers an easily understood editor that would allow me to edit my music in text form. This would ensure that I could easily apply ANY edits with minimum skill - without the fear that I would learn a program only to find that it would not allow all the small changes that I might need to do after scanning.

Also ABC has a lot of Freeware and since I am a novice, this is an attractive way to get introduced to muc=sic notation.

Is there a freeware scanner that I can use and then input to Musicad so that I can export ABC files. And is Musicad Free for this purpose?

musys
Beheerder

Re: Scan to Abc

Post by musys » 21 Sep 2010 11:35

Is there a freeware scanner that I can use and then input to MusiCAD so that I can export ABC files. And is MusiCAD free for this purpose?
Import/Export of MIDI as well as ABC are available in MusiCAD without need of license. You will need some scan-to-midi facility to create MIDI-files from printed music.

However, if you are exporting single voice ABC compatible music, simply keying in the desired music lines with the aid of MusiCAD might be more proficient; just try ;)

KenF

Post by KenF » 21 Sep 2010 20:08

Well, OK! It has some neat data entry features. Congratulations on that.

But, (I told you my needs are simple) ... I am used to seeing the chords ABOVE the staff and this is one of the major things that I need. Also they are often too small for my old eyes and particularly so when they accompany guitar cords.

I just want to reformat my music to remove notes (and staffs) that I don't play, make them more readable and then print them more than one to a page.

KenF

Post by KenF » 21 Sep 2010 20:52

AND, I can't get MIDI input to work.

musys
Beheerder

Post by musys » 21 Sep 2010 20:59

But, (I told you my needs are simple) ... I am used to seeing the chords ABOVE the staff and this is one of the major things that I need. Also they are often too small for my old eyes and particularly so when they accompany guitar cords.
Use <ctrl-F7> ({Options|Textlayout|Chordsymbols]) click the button, and change Vertical, offset to 10 instead of -10, adjust size and colors to your liking.
I just want to reformat my music to remove notes (and staffs) that I don't play, make them more readable and then print them more than one to a page.
Use <F3> remove the tick mark "score", and select the desired part to display.

More than one song on a page is possible using section text <shift-k>. However, abc-export will likely ignore section texts...

musys
Beheerder

Post by musys » 21 Sep 2010 21:02

KenF wrote:AND, I can't get MIDI input to work.
You need to enable MIDI-input (the keyboard button in edit mode).

KenF

Post by KenF » 21 Sep 2010 21:36

Ah, now we are getting somewhere!!

Don't know why MIDI wouldn't work but I may have had it "attached" to another program. Closed other programs and it works!

If I can get the music formatted and output to ABC I expect to find other ways to paginate it.

Thanks, I'll try some more stuff. Seem to have most trouble changing stuff. I should revert to my old programming motto, "get it right first time!" but that's not always possible (even for me!!)

KenF

Post by KenF » 21 Sep 2010 22:50

Nnnnnnn...... ?

I'd like to send you what I am trying to enter. It's just a simple hymn. Right hand only played with 2-note chords. Midi doesn't recognize chord mode (yeah, ok!) but it also doesn't work in over strike mode!

Then I just get too many bugs to go any further. Program insists on entering quavers only - except if I input with the mouse. Puts a Natural on my F and I can't get rid of it or change it to F#. After a number of "undos" (CTRL/Z) tempo changes have way thru the tune!! (no sign) "Save" doesn't save and keeps asking me to type in.

I don't think this is productive enough for me to continue.

Thanks for your time.

KenF

Post by KenF » 21 Sep 2010 22:58

And I DO MEAN "Thanks for your time"

musys
Beheerder

Post by musys » 21 Sep 2010 23:10

MIDI real-time mode isn't really the most proficient way to use MusiCAD... :?
MusiCAD was primarily designed to be used with a keyboard (the QWERTY, not the MIDI-one).
MIDI-and mouse facilities were added afterwards.

Use cursor keys and <Enter> for your notes, and just type the accompanying chords. ;)